Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Last Waltz

So I mentioned hearing Rick Danko's haunting tenor as a teammate had to abandon on our fleche. The song was "Twilight," and its melancholy melody played in my mind as the sun, and our spirits, sank.

"Don't leave me alone in the twilight. Twilight is the loneliest time of day."

When I got home, I was determined to find the song among my CDs by The Band. The only version I've ever known was one by Rick and Garth Hudson on a Best of Mountain Stage Live compilation. While looking, I got reacquainted with "The Last Waltz." That in turn led me to this amazing performance of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Which brought me full circle to our fleche route, a route through many places that endured the War Between The States.

Lynchburg, Gordonsville, Orange (then known as Orange Court House), Leed's Church, Centerville, Manassas, and of course, Arlington. All rich in history, and we were too rushed to enjoy it at the time. I get the feeling though, we'll visit these places again.

No comments: